E-commerce is also known as electronic commerce which consists of purchasing and selling of products through the internet. With the increasing demand for online marketing and purchasing, e-stores and e-businesses have emerged over the last few years. E-commerce has revolutionised the world with its 24/7 online support facility to ease everyone’s life. It is also known for its comfort and easiness to deliver things at your doorstep.
But first, getting traffic to the website is crucial. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the major factor to be looked to. Optimising the website and choosing the right set of keywords will affect the search results. With regards to e-commerce, if you are thinking about building an online business, then you should be aware of certain key elements to focus on and the common mistakes being done. Here, we share some of the common mistakes done by E-commerce websites, resulting in them not being able to rank on Google.
Deficit product description
The product description is an important component to be included in your website’s content. Lacking in the product description in your website will defeat the purpose of an online business. The product must be well tagged with a taxonomy and the correct set of keywords that you are trying to aim for. Also not forgetting, include the product with an appropriate and the right content description. The content should be unique and avoid having a repetative description. Few points to note:
- Post interesting or good content for your products.
- Produce unique content that helps online customers to make it viral.
- Update regularly so that customers know your business is alive.
Lack of product reviews
This section is frequently noticed among customers while they are viewing the products online. Product reviews are important as it affects the customer’s purchasing behaviour. Looking at product reviews give confidence to online buyers. The more the reviews, the genuine it gets and customers will tend to believe them.
Two points to note:
- Product review should be lively and genuine as possible
- It should be unique enough to define the product value and quality
Keyword stuffing is categorised under black hat SEO and it is most hated by Google. As per search engine algorithm and rules, keyword stuffing is considered as a spamming tactic to gain search engine’s attention. Thus, to neglect this fact from the product and business, one should be extra careful not to implement this method or suffer the consequences of getting your website blacklisted. For this, you should take note of the following:
- Avoid any kind of black hat SEO at all cost
- Use white hat SEO techniques
- Build backlinks, the natural way to gain an online presence.
Non-friendly website URL
The URLs of your website should be the named accordingly and it has to be related to the nature of your business. It should not contain any unrelated categories or random characters that do not make any sense.
Your URL ideally should contain these elements:
- The words in the URL should make sense and understood by the online viewers
- There must be a relevance between the URL and the landing page. For example, a URL of “about-us” must display a landing page of the organisation’s “About Us” and not something else.
By avoiding these mistakes and implementing the notes mentioned can lead to a good online business website.